I’ve been on both sides of the desk for the yearly performance review and I think it’s a lose-lose situation.
I could go into all the examples of what led me to feel this way, but instead, I want to tell you about a better way to talk to someone about their contribution to the work they accomplished during the year.
First print 2 sets of page 1 from The Review Game yes, there’s a chance this will be fun!
Then print a copy of page 2 from the game. (Adjust your topics to fit your needs).
So when your person comes in for their review, explain that you’re going play this game.
It goes something like this:
- I’m the blue emoji face and you’re the red emoji face.
- For each topic, you pick a yellow emoji face that represents how you feel you’ve performed this year, and I’ll do the same.
- We’ll write the emoji name you selected in your box, and we’ll write the emoji name I select in my box for each topic.
- If we are aligned, we get a point in the Aligned Box.
- If we are not aligned, we’ll put a point in the Misaligned Box.
- The object is for us to have more Aligned than Misaligned Boxes.
- Even if we’re both grumpy, mad or confused, we still get a point if we are in alignment.
- We’ll make notes about any goals or topics for further discussion.
Remember, the goal is to have a good conversation about topics that are important to your company. Think big picture! This person is either making you happy or not…..
If you’re happy with their performance, tell them so! If there are areas where you need them to work on something, tell them so!